Ever since the quake, I’ve been thinking about how to carry this blog forward. The purpose of this blog is to introduce Gintama to as much people as possible. In fact, if you click the little circular i icon on the top-right, you’ll see the original purpose of this blog was to get enough fans together so we can all hit the twitter trending topics so that more people will check the show out and see for themselves what they are missing out.
To this end, I’ve worked like a maniac for the last 2 months thinking up new ideas for games, jokes, stories, parodies, posters, observations, LOLGraphs as well as posting historical facts scoured from the remotest areas of the net, that shows the depth and breadth of Gintama. Next time you hear someone say ‘Gintama is pointless’, just point them to these links and they’ll be hard-pressed for a comeback.
In short, this is a light-hearted blog aimed at spreading the love for an anime show. And right now, Japan is having one of the biggest crisis in recent memory - Earthquake, Tsunami and a potential Nuclear event. The two things are so opposite to each other that I can’t continue to post as usual without coming across as douchey/offensive which is the opposite of my original aim, i.e., to unite the Gintama community together, but more importantly it just doesn’t feel right - over 10,000 people feared dead and I’m posting silly anime stuff? It really sounds petty to me.
So now that we have over 4000 monthly visitors + over 200 tumblr subs, I think it’s time I asked what you guys thought about how I should take things forward. To help you with this, here is a summary of the blog’s purpose and what my short term plans for the blog were.
Blog’s original purpose:
To help Gintama hit the Worldwide Twitter Trending topics.
Short term plans that I had in mind before the quake:
- Launch the Mind=Blown Image Macro Generator to help Gintama go viral.
- Launch the World’s First HTML5 anime game. It ties into twitter for scores and achievements to help Gintama go viral. It is also the World’s First Episode-as-a-Game(EAAG) - every level in the game is the story of an episode. Level 1 is abt Gintama epi 1 where Yorozuya hunt Kuromi-chan etc. See a basic skeleton level, level 29 which is the story of Episode 29 - help Gin-san crush the ‘Gorou’ queen cockroach.
- Finish work on 3 AMVs and market them to get at least 500,000 views total
- Post: Lake Toyako and how Gintama and G8 put the search term “wooden swords” on the map.
- Post: Gintama and Japan’s Most Famous Honeymoon
- Post: How Gintama hit the twitter trending topics in 2009 and what we can learn from it.
- Post: Naruto to Gintama Transition Guide - How a Naruto fan can come to enjoy Gintama. I want to make more such Transition guides for Bleach, One Piece, FMA etc, basically all popular shows so fans of those shows who’ve never heard of Gintama will find it easy to switch.
- New Animated Motivational Posters(AMPs): Ibaraki is not dead, Umibouzu and his wig, Pedobear as a Personal Trainer
- Post: List of Celebrities referenced in Gintama - From Arnold and Macaulay Culkin to Will Smith to Shimura Ken and Jackie Chan.
- Post: How to watch newcomers to Gintama using Twitter search and help them get into the show.
- Downloads: Shareable Bit.ly bundles: “Understand Gintama in 10 links” bundle, “Top 10 Gintama Videos” bundle, “Top 10 Funniest Gintama Pics and GIFs” bundle, “The Best of Gintama in 25 links” bundle.
- Meme: “Find your Samurai name” page - find which Gintama Samurai you share a birthday with. I thought this up so it can go viral on twitter.
That’s basically the short term plan. I have more plans but they are all in early stages. And it’s not like I planned to carry this blog forever. Here’s a mail I sent to a fellow Gintama fan about a month back:
So I was already planning to stop blogging after I finish all the ideas listed above but after the catastrophe, I’m having second thoughts about posting even the ideas I had planned to finish before stopping. But, I also HATE leaving a job unfinished. That’s not how I was brought up. Come hell or high-water, always finish the job you took up or never undertake that venture in the first place - this is what my parents taught me and I’ve stuck to it pretty much all my life. That’s why even though posting this stuff seems silly when we are in the middle of this tragedy, a part of me still wants to keep going to finish the job I started. And this is where you guys can help. Now that you know the situation, here’s a poll on what direction you think this blog should take, and feel free to leave comments (DISQUS comments are back) if you have compelling arguments on why I should continue/stop/pause the blog: